FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
June 7, 2012
Contact: Angela Melvin
Congressman Allen West (R-FL) cordially invites you to the second:
Conservative Black Forum
“Economic Empowerment in the Black Community”
June 18, 2012
United States Capitol
Room HVC 200
1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Conservative Black Forum will discuss policy and legislation needed to enhance the entrepreneurial spirit of Black American small business owners to stimulate and strengthen the economy.
Black businesses, established in the heart of Black communities, often hire Black employees that in turn strengthen the Black community as a whole.
Leaders in the Black community on both the state and federal level will have an open discussion on what barriers are preventing the Black community from achieving economic growth, leading to economic stability and most importantly, economic “freedom.”
Black unemployment remains at almost 14 percent - double the white community. This is a trend that has continued for the past 50 years, during both strong and weak economies.
The Federal Government has invested billions of dollars to solve this crisis, yet the statistics remain staggering.
4.8 percent of black students dropped out of high school in 2009, double the number of white students.
THE DISTINGUISHED PANEL:
Moderator: Charles Payne - Fox Business Network contributor and co-host of "Varney & Co."
• Allen West- Congressman, Member of House Small Business Committee, Congressional Black Caucus
• Robert L. Johnson - Founder of Black Entertainment Television
• City Manager Ruth C. Jones – Rivera Beach
• Florida State Rep. Mack Bernard - (District 84) Committee Memberships: Business & Consumer Affairs Subcommittee, Insurance & Banking Subcommittee, Transportation & Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee
• Dr. Art Laffer - American economist
• County Commissioner Ashley Bell - Hall County, Georgia
• Toya Powell - Director, Government Engagement, U.S. Black Chamber, Inc.
• Harry C. Alford - President/CEO, National Black Chamber of Commerce
• Kay DeBow - Executive Vice President, National Black Chamber of Commerce
• Darrell "DJ" Jordan - House of Representatives Small Business Committee
• A representative from the House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee (TBA)
• Pamela Hart - President of Florida Association of Minority Business Enterprise Officials (FAMBEO)
*This event is open to the public and media. Members of the public RSVP to Christine.Shaw@mail.house.gov or call 202-226-2149. Members of the media please RSVP to Angela.Melvin@mail.house.gov or 202--226-2149.